Mustang Cross Country
Success Attained Through the Hallmark of Continuous Improvement
“Our sport is your sport’s punishment.” This catchy little quip holds quite a lot of truth in consideration of the nature and objective of Cross Country running. The intent is to simply run, run, run, and then run some more, with the supposedly simple quest of just getting faster and stronger, and increasing endurance along the way. However, this quest quickly becomes a much broader challenge as the runner must overcome all the mental games (will power, self-doubt, just “not feeling it”), physical pain, and overall fatigue – AND the wide-ranging external factors (hills, creeks, mud, dust, heat, humidity, cold, wind, rain, sleet).
Led by XC Head Coach WILL RODGERS and Asst Coach DANTE DORSEY, the Mustang Cross Country runners powered through the 2018 season with fierceness and determination, conquering these many obstacles and emerging as a much faster and stronger team by season’s end. And while success can certainly by measured by number of medals earned and championships won, the fact remains that those awards are reserved for a very few (including a couple of this year’s Mustang runners). Success is also measured by other tangible and intangible metrics.
MA XC experienced significant team and individual success in 2018, as evidenced by the fact that up and down the 18-person competitive roster, the team set a staggering 64 individual Personal Records during the season – meaning that many of the Mustangs set multiple PR’s; and most of the runners who didn’t quite match prior-year PR’s still experienced current-year success by setting numerous season’s best times with each passing week. Ultimately this team of largely inexperienced runners (with a few seasoned pro’s in the mix) conquered the challenges and achieved success by striving for and attaining continuous improvement throughout the season.
Highlights of the 2018 Season
- Ten new runners from grades 7 through 12 completed for the first time this season.
- Eleven runners progressed through four or more PR/ season's best finishes.
- Three seniors completed long and stellar MA XC careers (John William Diffey- 6yrs; Julianne Hill- 5 yrs; David Matthews- 6yrs)
- Both the men’s team and the women’s team climbed the Class 4A Section 4 standings throughout the season, each finishing in sixth place among twelve teams. (Men began the season in ninth place; women in eleventh.)
- Two runners advanced to the state Class 4A championship meet:
- Julianne Hill qualified for the fourth consecutive year, and placed 13th in the state.
- David Matthews ran his best time ever, qualifying for the second year in a row.
- And speaking of Miss Hill..
- Julianne capped her MA XC career with six top-ten finishes in six meets this season (including four podium finishes- two golds and two bronzes)
- She also earned All-State status for the fourth consecutive year.
- And she was chosen as the Huntsville/Madison County All-Metro Female Cross Country athlete of the year- for all seven AHSAA Classifications!
End of Season Awards
- Newcomers of the year- Rachel Baker and Garrett Parvin
- Fastest Runners- Julianne Hill and David Matthews
- Most Improved Runners- Abbey Drummond and Matthew Cheek
- Team Spirit Award- Julianne Hill
- Lifer Awards- David Matthews and John William Diffey
- Varsity Letters- Julianne Hill, David Matthews, John William Diffey, Garrett Parvin, Carter Busby
2018 Individual Runner Stats (5k unless otherwise noted)
|David Matthews||PR and Season's best||18:47.21|
|PR and Season's best||18:48.68|
|Garrett Parvin||PR and Season's best||19:05.75|
|Ben Hall||Season's best||20:33.94 (5 Seconds shy of PR)|
|John William Diffey||PR and Season's best||20:42.90|
|Jack Clem||PR and Season's best||20:53.12|
|Daniel Johnson||PR and Season's best||21:25.87|
|Alex Cioppi||PR and Season's best||21:28.82|
|Matthew Cheek||PR and Season's best||22:03.02|
|Hunter Morris||PR and Season's best||22:39.64|
|Sam Hall (JV)||PR and Season's best||15:46.10 (2 Mile)|
|Dylan Hosmer (JV)||PR and Season's best||18:30.81 (2 Mile)|
|Julianne Hill||Season's Best||20:33.90|
|Rachel Baker||PR and Season's Best||25:56.35|
|Caley Busby||Season's Best||26:45.34|
|Abbey Drummond||PR and Season's Best||27:15.82|
|Avery Butler||Season's Best||27:17.30|
|Kathleen Ogden||PR and Season's Best||27:53.72|